Monday, April 30, 2012

Cohutta 100, or maybe 105?

Where "Pop Tarts" is a food group
Jocelyn, Jane and I made the trip to the famous NUE opener (Cohutta 100) this weekend. Even though I thought I may be able to be somewhat competitive (hopeful for a top 10) the course, coupled with my lack of any real endurance training handed me my ass. The start was pretty slow compared to what I'm used to. Makes total sense, considering there is a hundred miles ahead. I entered the single track in good position and felt pretty good for about three and a half hours, often working with others all the while trying to not go too deep. At aid #4 I stopped, ate some jelly beans and let a bunch of guys pass. If I was going to finish I had to chill the hell out. Probably spent 10 minutes at aid #4 before I began my limp to aid #5. Right before aid #5 Cheryl Sornson came by looking very strong. I was still in the pain cave so I just gave her a shout and watched her ride off into the sun. Aid 5 finally comes and I'm off the bike again, pondering my future involvement in this sport, when I see eventual masters winner Ron Sanborn. Ron and I rode together for a while at Lumberjack 100 last year so I figured I'd latch on and ride the mother of all 2012 Cohutta climbs with him. Ron was suffering from cramps and I was just suffering, so it seemed like a good match. We would talk, trying to keep my mind off the miles of climbing ahead. Once in a while a rider or two would pass and I was okay with that. About mile 70, NUE champ Amanda Carey caught us, with about 10 guys sucking her wheel like a shark with a bunch of remoras looking for a free ride. Not wanting to be another slimy sucker fish, I said goodbye to Ron and set out on my own. All of a sudden I'm racing again. Passing loads of riders like I was on a relay team and had just started the race. I felt great, I was gonna finish strong. The mileage on the computer was clicking off fast 95, 96, 97. Then it all fell apart again. That moment was going into the final single track. Computer said 97 miles, but the marshall said I had 7 miles to go. I had a meltdown, SHITTTT!!!! It seemed like it took forever but soon I rolled over the line, SHOT!!!. Need to do some serious training before the Mohican 100 or it's gonna be a painful day.

 Jocelyn, 14000ft on a SS...Rockstar!!!

3 comments:

  1. Top 20% of the Open class when you're training for XC is still pretty impressive!
    From what Jocelyn was saying I think she was running a bigger gear than a lot of the guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone has always told me 100milers and 'standard' XC stuff are two different animals. Perhaps that is why I have struggled with the 'standard' XC stuff?

    Excellent effort! Lots of stuff can happen in a long race. You can even come back from falling off the cart.

    Impressed by Joceyln's performance. Looking forward to reading more about you two following the NUE series this year. Hampshire 100? Thinking about a hundie. Its been a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cohutta was fun, then not fun, then fun again. Left me feeling a bit unsatisfied with my performance and quite frankly I'm scratching my head.

    Hell, screw it! Just go ride your bike...Right???

    ReplyDelete