Monday, June 29, 2009

"Just a bit outside"


Sometimes when I'm hanging out after a race I'm asked questions about my training. They go something like this. What do you do during the week? How did you ride the course so fast? Well let me tell you there is no magic pill. I used to play hockey and there are many variables that are not in mountain bike racing. In mountain biking there is no 200lb defender to block your way, no hot goalie to stop your perfect top shelf shot. Unlike many other sports you get out what you put in. What I mean by this is that if you want to win a two and a half hour xc race training for only a hour and a half isn't gonna cut it. I cant tell you how many people I know who can't get past the 2 hour mark on a training ride, My question is: how do you even finish a race? Training is typically done at a reduced pace from what you race at so how do you expect to be able to go faster and longer on race day? I know your coach says If you do so many intervals at specific times you will be fast for the important races and this may be true. But whats the sense of being fast if half the field goes by you in the third lap?

This is a endurance sport, endurance is a premium. We don't typically race forty five minute short tracks or 20 mile crits. So why do we train for them? Intervals will make you rev faster like a sports car but the turbo diesel keeps coming. Remember speed is useless If you can't hold it for more than a couple minutes. Just my two cents.......

2 comments:

  1. Whatever you're doing seems to be working sir.

    -t

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a little bit of a rant after spending way too many hours on the bike alone...

    ReplyDelete